Thursday, November 19, 2009

Pasta NEVER fails to entertain



Trust me, Pasta is NOT, i repeat, is NOT abused. He is lovingly looked after, but just never boring. He likes the attention on him.... I'll let Nicole tell you the story:

Here’s a doozy of a story for ya. It involves my Italian Greyhound, Pasta, A.K.A. “Stinkface.” Let me begin by setting the scene for you. It was early October…leaves are starting to fall, the air was crisp, and I was still getting used to our new member of the family, 3 week-old baby Beck. So, let’s just say everything was rosy.
Then one night as I sit watching tv, I notice something unusual as I glance over to the far corner of the couch where Pasta sits curled up in a circle. Something wasn’t quite right. At first, I thought I was merely seeing a shadow cast upon Pasta’s face. It wasn’t until I call Pasta’s name to get a better look that I saw what appeared to be a growing bubble on the right side of Pasta’s face. That’s weird, I thought. So, being that it’s Friday, and the vet is closed, I give Pasta some Benedryl and went to sleep. Over the weekend, I noticed the bubble had grown a bit, but nothing to freak out about yet. Well, come Monday night as I watch Dancing With the Stars, something catches my eye. You guessed it – it was Pasta’s GIANT face. This time Pasta looked like a MONSTER. He was deformed like the Elephant Man. I couldn’t stand the site any longer. I had to bring him in.
So, that night, my husband brought Pasta to the vet and let them stick a little needle into that giant blob on his face to aspirate whatever goodies lie inside. The Dr. thought “Stinkface” had an abscess near one of his molar teeth. (Do dog’s even have molars?) Anyway, it was decided that the next morning Pasta would be put under anesthesia to have his teeth cleaned, and that molar tooth pulled. Supposedly, the abscess would drain out of the socket in Pasta’s mouth.
Pasta spent the whole next day at the vet. I must say I was really looking forward to Pasta having less stinkbreath, pearly whites, and no facial deformities. Well, Michael brought Pasta home that night and unfortunately, he still had a giant face...I guess the swelling doesn’t go away that fast. The next night while my mother was in town visiting, she says to me. “Nicole......... Pasta’s face!” I turn to look at Pasta and sure enough, Pasta’s face had exploded. That’s right, I said EXPLODED. Instead of the blood and pus and nastiness draining inside of Pasta’s mouth, it came out that tiny hole where fluid was aspirated a few days before. And, it was gushing! It wouldn’t stop. To make matters worse, Pasta kept scratching his exploded face. Blood was everywhere! All over his face. All over the kitchen floor. Drops of blood on the carpet. And, of course anywhere his bloody paw hit the ground. Meanwhile, the baby is screaming in my arms. I am furious. My mother is shocked and trying to figure out what to do. What do I do first? Well, a few obscenities slipped out first(cussing in my loudest whisper of course!), and then the clean-up began.
There was nothing that would stop the bleeding from his face. Not a bandaid. Not guaze. Nothing. So, Pasta remained in the kitchen while we just let the blood dry on his face. I know, sounds disgusting. That’s because it is. He survived. He had some hair loss at the site of the injury, but now the hair is back and he looks 100% handsome.
Yup. Just another day for Pasta.

1 comment:

  1. i do believe pas was lucky to have his face explode at your house and not mine.

    ReplyDelete